What can you do if you are unhappy with your lawyer?

If you have found yourself in a situation in California where you need to seek the help of an attorney, it is important to understand your rights. Your attorney must represent you to the best of his or her ability. If you find yourself unhappy with your attorney’s performance, you have some options.

The American Bar Association notes that your attorney must represent you in a competent manner. However, this does not mean your attorney must win your case or get you the resolution you want. The law is very uncertain, so no outcome guarantees are ever given. At the same time, your lawyer must do everything possible to work towards your preferred resolution.

If you feel your lawyer is not working properly, you should first talk about it with him or her. Explain your concerns and ask for changes to be made. You also have the option of firing your lawyer and hiring a new one. If you think there is an ethical issue at hand, then you should make a report to the state licensing board.

In extreme cases where you think your attorney’s behavior cost you your case, you may be able to bring a malpractice case in court. This will allow you to sue and perhaps regain some damages if the case is found in your favor. As a last resort and only when you feel a criminal act has occurred, you could report your attorney to the police. This information is for education only and not intended as legal advice.