No one wants to be in a situation where they need the services of a lawyer, but when the need arises, that last thing you need is an attorney who isn’t up to the job.
There is an old expression that one of the most expensive purchases you can ever make is hiring a cheap attorney. While there are many excellent pro bono lawyers, there are also those whose performances are less than adequate.
What are the signs?
While hiring a bad attorney can be extremely frustrating, many of the signs are not so subtle. Here are a few:
- Poor communication: Does your attorney not return your calls, or get back to you promptly? When hiring an attorney, find a system that works for both of you.
- Lacks respect from others: If you notice that your attorney gets little or no respect from peers around the courthouse, he or she may not be right for your case.
- Personality conflicts: Attorneys are like anyone else and may have a personality that doesn’t click with yours. Decide if they are still someone who makes you feel protected instead of putting you on edge.
- Unethical or illegal behavior: If your attorney advises you to break the law, fire them immediately. You can be held liable even if you were acting on their advice.
- Suspicious billing: Check your attorney’s bills thoroughly and if a fee doesn’t make sense, question them. If they don’t have a clear explanation, it may be time for a new lawyer.
Seek help for legal malpractice claims
There are many other signs that you made a mistake hiring an attorney, including someone who isn’t enthusiastic about taking your case, has little empathy for your situation, or wants your money but lacks a clear plan. If you find yourself in this situation, an attorney with experience in legal malpractice here in California can help you spot the signs and fight for the compensation you deserve.